Real-life Indiana Jones...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mlif from 206.196.57.18 on December 04, 2000 at 19:00:29:

Don't know if any of you are aware of this guy or not. Gentleman by the name of Wendell Phillips....(not to be confused with the more famous abolisionist from the 1800's). I've heard that at least some of the lore of Indiana Jones is based on this guy.

This was a young paleontologist/anthropologist who organized the first trans-continental (North to South) multi-disciplined expedition of Africa in the 1940's and the (until just now, there is a Canadian expedition picking up where he left off nearly 50 years ago) most informative western expedition of southern Arabia, including discovering the potential ruins of the temple of the Queen of Sheba...(the "Other" holy grail of the middle east) Only to be chased out of Yemen at gun point by the Sultan's assaination squad.

He wrote several books about his travels, including being given oil concessions for the country of Oman (ever hear of Phillips 66?), only to be swindled out of his shares by a former partner.

I have only recently learn of him, but he seems to have been a facinating guy. I highly recommend reading his stuff. Including his book about the Southern Arabian expedition in the early 1950's It's very rare and out of print, but check your libraries. It's called: Qataban and Sheba

Anyone else heard and/or know anything about this guy?

Troy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]