Indy & D. (get it?)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from d141-46-146.home.cgocable.net on December 06, 2000 at 16:34:48:

So, thanks to the LA Times and the force.net we have an interesting article. It seems the director of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons is comparing his film to not only Star Wars but a certain whip-wielding archaeologist we all know and love.
Get this:

Director Compares D&D and Star Wars
Wed, Dec 06, 00 02:03:06 PM EST

If you've seen previews for Dungeons & Dragons, then you know there are a lot of similarities to Star Wars. There's an evil sorcerer like the Emperor, a Queen on a quest to save her people like Amidala, and even a moronic Jar Jar-like character played by Marlon Wayans. But according to the LA Times, the director Courtney Solomon may have made them similar on purpose:

"Dungeons & Dragons," which was finished without an American distributor signed, will be released by New Line Cinema and stars Wayans, Jeremy Irons, Thora Birch and Justin Whalin. Today, Solomon, sitting in his publicist's office sporting a sweatshirt, "D&D" cap and traces of dark circles under his eyes, appears excitingly relieved, comparing his film to "Star Wars" at least once every 15 minutes. He eagerly talks about filming a "D&D" trilogy, and if you ask him one question, he'll launch into an hourlong "D&D" discussion.
"D&D," in which a band of heroes takes on a politically ambitious wizard, is a lighthearted, fast-paced fantasy film that does indeed owe a heavy debt to "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark." It's no coincidence that special-effects supervisor George Gibbs, who won an Oscar for "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," worked on "D&D." The film's soul may have been independent, but its heart is high concept. "I hope we still made a big blockbuster," said Solomon.

(End of article)
What do you guys think? Lofty ambitions? I remember Bruce Willis comparing the 5th Element to Star Wars and "Raiders." Yeah right.
Pardon my skepticism.
Cheers,
Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: