Difference between Mark Allen and David Morgan?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupF83.mpls.uswest.net on December 11, 2000 at 05:17:22:

This is for those who own both a Mark Allen and a David Morgan bullwhip:

Are there any obvious differences between the two, besides price?

I own a 10ft 12-plait David Morgan and to me it seems stiff. Maybe I haven't used it enough or perhaps oiling it might help loosen it up.

But I was wondering if the Mark Allens are less stiff out of the box. When I see Indy's whip in the movies it always seem so "fluid" in the way it moves(particularly in Temple when the Thugee's whipping Indy). I heard someone recently say that perhaps a 16-plait whip was used when it was needed to wrap around things.

So would a 16-plaiter be more "fluid"?

I've tried to wrap my 10ft DM around telephone pole sized tree trunks and it just slides off. I have a cheap swivel-handle whip that is nowhere near 12-plaits, but it's much more "fluid", it's basically ropelike because it's so loose. But I can wrap this whip around things quite easily.

I guess my question is would a 12-plait Mark Allen be identical in weight and looseness as a 12-plait David Morgan?

Has anyone ever seen/used both, and which is preferred? Which would be better for "wrapping"?

Thanks,
Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: