Re: My HJ hat...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Arizona Smith from inh1ts16-qfe0.ims.bt.net on December 11, 2000 at 11:59:51:

In Reply to: My HJ hat... posted by Sean on December 11, 2000 at 06:50:56:

: Hey gang:
: Just out of curiousity, and in light of the "newest" info surrounding the HJ fedora, I measure my hat.
: I found that the crown height, unbashed, was 6 inches. This is after some minor shrinkage over the last 2 years. Also, the brim dimensions were an "even" 2 7/8 x 2 3/4.
: When I ordered my hat 2 years ago, Mr. Swales didn't think they'd be able to accomodate me as I suffer from "big head-itis" (size 63 - not sure in American). He looked around his shop/inventory for awhile and came back on the phone to tell me that he had one left.
: Now the thing is, I messed around with the hat a bit to make it look like the "Raiders" fedora, and it looks pretty damn close. I have a picture of me wearing it, next to a still from "Raiders" and it looks almost identical. I say almost because obviously Harrison Ford's head and my head are of different sizes.
: Out of the box it looked like a dead-on LC hat, but like I said, a little modification and it looks like the "Raiders" fedora, at least enough for me!
: Cheers,
: Sean

I agree that out of the box the HJ looks very LC, but it can, as Sean so rightly states (glad to see some defence of the HJ as a Raiders hat!) be shaped with patience and careful study of the video/stills to be a dead-ringer for the Raiders fedora. I don't own a PB so I can't comment on its Raiders' likeness, but for my money I am happy that my HJ is spot-on Raiders.

I think that it's possible we're all getting really hung up about a fraction of an inch here and there on the crown or the brim dimensions and forgetting that one of the most important elements that you have to allow for when making a judgement on which look you are able to achieve with which hat is still your own head size and shape.

Regards,
Arizona

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: