Concerning all the fuss over fedora dimensions......

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-tf034.proxy.aol.com on December 12, 2000 at 05:13:36:

I've been reading all of the posts below, including Patterson's post of the HJ work order (or whatever that is) and just had to add to all the commotion. Most here know this already, but it seems some do not. Unless you wear the exact size hat as Harrison Ford, original specs, confirmed or otherwise, are of little use. I've heard some people report their HJ fedoras as having a crown height of anywhere from 5" to 5 1/2". Because it is the "Indy" hat acquired from HJ most probably assume this to be, dimensionaly speaking, accurate to the "Raiders" hat. The main factor is the actual size of your own head. You should not concern yourself with the original specs but rather the original 'look'. My Peters Bros fedora has a 6" crown, after bashing. The brim is 2 3/4" f/r, 2 1/2" sides. This seems big. Even Joe Jr. e-mailed me several times to say, "Are you sure? That's awfully tall". I had, at the time, cut apart and modified a cheap Disney hat and used it as a sort of model to find the specs I wanted. Sure, it looks big sitting on a syrofoam head but on my big head, on my 6' 3" frame, it has the exact look. Because of the sensitive factors needed in acheiving the exact look you want I still reccommend Peters Bros over Herbert Johnson, as they are made to your EXACT specs.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]