Yep!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on December 12, 2000 at 14:16:21:

In Reply to: This has been pointed out many times before posted by Michaelson on December 12, 2000 at 12:40:25:

: : : I've been reading all of the posts below, including Patterson's post of the HJ work order (or whatever that is) and just had to add to all the commotion. Most here know this already, but it seems some do not. Unless you wear the exact size hat as Harrison Ford, original specs, confirmed or otherwise, are of little use. I've heard some people report their HJ fedoras as having a crown height of anywhere from 5" to 5 1/2". Because it is the "Indy" hat acquired from HJ most probably assume this to be, dimensionaly speaking, accurate to the "Raiders" hat. The main factor is the actual size of your own head. You should not concern yourself with the original specs but rather the original 'look'. My Peters Bros fedora has a 6" crown, after bashing. The brim is 2 3/4" f/r, 2 1/2" sides. This seems big. Even Joe Jr. e-mailed me several times to say, "Are you sure? That's awfully tall". I had, at the time, cut apart and modified a cheap Disney hat and used it as a sort of model to find the specs I wanted. Sure, it looks big sitting on a syrofoam head but on my big head, on my 6' 3" frame, it has the exact look. Because of the sensitive factors needed in acheiving the exact look you want I still reccommend Peters Bros over Herbert Johnson, as they are made to your EXACT specs.

: : Shawnkara is right on the money. Ford, like all screen stars, has a larger than average head. So if you have an average or smaller head size you have to scale down to get the desired look.

: : Bo

: The only reason this info was supplied was for those who want documented information supplied directly from the maker of an item. This info is usually just sent directly to IndyGear, but Patterson posted it here for all to see and copy if they wanted. No further recommendations were made, as if you go back in the vaults, the proportional vs. dimensional dicussion has been made many times. Michaelson

No fuss intended - just sharing! I've always held that the look was th goal, and hat size and proportionality to the wearer needs to be considered. The basic dimensions being documented as something other than the accepted - 5.5 crown and a 1/4 inch difference on the dimensional cut - those were the important parts for me. Heck - there is probably a fan out there who looks right in a Disney hat, but not me!

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: