Why the 1 5/8?.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-14.col.cableone.net on December 12, 2000 at 17:56:02:

In Reply to: Re: And... posted by Greg on December 11, 2000 at 23:44:50:

: OK, Fedora, I'm picking up what you're putting down about the hats, but I'm confused about the 1 5/8 inch ribbon...Why would you want that? Actually, the ribbon is something we know pretty clearly. I spent months researching the ribbon after Richard Swales told me about the 80 year old ribbon they used and that it had run out. He confirmed that it was 1 1/2 inch (39mm) dark brown "Petersham" ribbon. I then spent hours calling over 50 hatters here in the states and several over seas searching for someone who knew what "Petersham" ribbon is. It is a form of grosgrain ribbon, apparently, and some of it has an unbound edge similar to a sawtooth ribbon, and some of it has a bound edge. This confused me for a while because I studied hundreds of stills from the three films as well as the Young Indy Chronicles as well as pics of the Smithsonian donated LC hat and there actually appeared to be two kinds of ribbons being used throughout the three films and series. However, some scenes in Raiders AND LC both appear with the bound edged ribbon-identical to the ribbon that Mr. Swales had reproduced in Spain, and now ships on the Indy hat. I have two lengths of it he sent me and I have to say that upon comparing it with photos shared with me by a friend taken in DC at the Smithsonian, the ribbon is identical and thus ended my months long quest, but not before learning more than I ever wanted to know about hat ribbons. Incidentally, aside from Mr. Swales, I only found three hatters that even knew what Petersham ribbon was: Catherine Delaney in the U.K., who sells a very nice lookalike for the HJ ribbon, James Locke hatters (around the corner in London from HJ, who only had black Petersham but were kind enough to send me some), and Hyman Hendler Ribbonerie in New York City. The Petersham they sent me was of the sawtooth variety, but was a very nice dark brown and a good match for some scenes' hat ribbon in Raiders and a few scenes in TOD. I was never satisfied until I finally got the replicated ribbon from Mr. Swales and I hope to heck that they keep getting it reproduced from Spain or I don't care where. I am tempted to buy a dozen lengths of it and keep them stored for the next forty years! I have installed my own ribbon now (and sewn in linings as well!) so if anyone has any questions or wants tips on installing their own ribbon (it's really easier than it looks!), let me know!

: Greg

I think it is pretty well agreed upon that the Raiders hat was the tallest model of the 3 different fedoras used. I have also read that perhaps, the Raiders ribbon was a little bit wider than the 39 mil. used on the other hats. Since a 6 inch open crown hat is taller than my other hats, I was gonna make the ribbon a bit more proportional that's all. Really haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]