Re: The dye can be fixed......

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em11-686.utsi.edu on September 03, 1998 at 08:53:17:

In Reply to: The dye of shoulder bag's leather strap comes off posted by Azuma on September 02, 1998 at 23:50:37:

: Hi everyone in the world of Indy:

: Greeting from Taipei. I am Indy fan in Taiwan and I do collect every Indy costume. Few days ago I received my shoulder bag's leather strap from the boot shop which called Borden Boots and Leather in MI. But some how the strap's dye continuing comes off and spreads all over my shirt after I connect it to my bag and I have no idea of it. Does anyone know how to do with it ? Please help me to solve it, Thank you very much.

: Azuma
: PS. Do you know Borden Boots and Leather changed their price for the strap and whip holster. My friend in LA paid them for US$80 to got 2 straps and 1 whip holder.

Bummer! About the only thing you can do is to soak the strap in a can or bucket of water and leech out the water soluable dye. Change the water several times over a period of time, probably a couple of days until the water is clear. Allow the strap to air dry, then you'll want to give it a good leather dressing to put moisture back into the leather fibers. I'm not sure what available in your part of the world, but there should be something available to do the job. You strap will take on a lighter color, but won't pass onto your clothing anymore. If you want to make it darker, use a color fast leather polish, such as a good paste shoe polish with lanolyn to seal and darken the strap. Crummy start, but it's solveable. Good luck. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]