Russel Crowe's face is too puffy to be an Indy...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe D. from cx693675-a.blvue1.ne.home.com on December 17, 2000 at 03:44:10:

In Reply to: Re: Raiders 2001 posted by Brian K. on December 11, 2000 at 20:09:47:

: : Hi,

: : Imagine that Raiders was never made in 1981 and Lucas and Speilber were making it right now for release next year.

: : Who would you cast as the principal characters?

: : I mean Harry's too old to start making them right? So who would you cast?

: : Indiana Jones -
: : Marion Ravenwood -
: : Belloq
: : Toht
: : Marcus Brody
: : Sallah

: : So - who would you all cast?????

: : Seeya

: : HK

: Well, I hate to say it, but if I were to guess as to what Lucas might do with today's crop of actors....here goes

: Indiana Jones - Russell Crowe (I think he looks the part, but I'm undecided as to whether or not he could pull off the dry wit of Indy..that's what test readings are for :) ) Given how trendy I think Lucas likes to be (M. Night writing IV, CGI in SW...) I think he'd definitely go after him for the role.

: Marion - I honestly can't think of anyone that would be good for this role, at least from mainstream hollywood. Problem is, most female actresses in this age category I think are too distractingly beautiful for the part. Marion should be pretty, so that we know nwy Indy went after her, but it's more important that her turbulent past shows through. The prom queens and sweet goodie goods of today's talent just don't cut it in this dept. I'd say Connie Nielson, but she's about the same age as Russell Crowe. Marion should be about 5-10 years younger to fit with the backstory, plus they already were in Gladiator together, and I'd rather avoid that kind of situation.

: Belloq - David Warner (I think he has a very intellectual look about him, and can still display a real mean streak at will. Plus, he'd be too old for the Marion character to fall in love with, which is something that is shared with the Paul Freeman interpretation.)

: Toht - hmmm...this is a tough one, because his power lies in his scariness, and the way the dialogue is presented, not necessarily his actions. I'd have to think about it more.

: Marcus - ironically, Harrison Ford. While too old for Indy now, he's the perfect aging adventurer. Most of the time he gets a lot of makeup to de-age himself. If they went slightly in the opposite direction with it and put on a few years, I think he would look great in it. Besides, how funny would it be ... "I'm really rather envious. A few years ago, I would've gone after it myself." :) )

: Sallah - can't bring myself to see anyone here but Rhys-Davies among current actors. Since Sallah doesn't really depend on being any sort of age, I'd say stick with him!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]