Re: Laurie, let's try it this way.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on September 03, 1998 at 12:39:30:

In Reply to: Re: Laurie, let's try it this way..... posted by Laurie Jensen on September 03, 1998 at 11:14:39:

: : : : : : How many cards are in the entire YIJC collection? I personally have 1-95, and 10 3-D cards. I thought I saw blue packs of cards a few years ago; did they make a second series?
: : : : : : While we are on the subject; what other Indy card series are there, and how many are in these sets?
: : : : : : Thanks.

: : : : : I just bought a complete Young Indy set at a flea market. The set consists of 95 cards, 10 3-D cards, 5 viewers cards, and 8 activity cards. I have no idea if a second set of cards were made, but I seem to remember some mention of Young Indy widevision cards, but I may be mistaken about that series.

: : : : : As for other card series, I know of only two-a single set of 88 cards (plus 11 stickers, I think) for both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom. From what I've read on this board, cards weren't issued for Last Crusade, and I have to admit, I've never seen any listing for them in dealer magazines or online catalogs. Topps did a terrible job distributing these sets; back in 1981 I was only able to buy 6 packs of Indy cards before they disapeared and the Temple of Doom cards were never released to stores out here. Fortunately, at that same flea market I was able to buy a mint, complete set of TOD cards as well as an unopended box of TOD cards. This guy had two other complete TOD sets, a complete Young Indy set, another unopened box, and a box with only a few missing packs, so this stuff is still out there if you can find it. Dealers will also sell complete sets, but at a high price; expect to pay $20-25 dollars for a set from a card shop.

: : : : :
: : : : : Hope this helps.

: : : : Laurie, please email me offline. I can't seem to get your address to work, and have a question to ask. Thanks. Regards. Michaelson

: : : Michaelson, I tried to email you, but I also couldn't get through. Unfortunately, we sometimes have trouble receiving email, but usually only from aol users. Must be something about proxy servers that screws things up. You'll probably have to communicate with me through the board. Anyway, I think I can guess your question it's about possible widevision cards, isn't? Some months ago a (usually) reliable aquaintance told me that there was a widevision set made of the Young Indy series. Well, after looking all these months, I'm pretty convinced that this person was mistaking the Proset series that I now own for a widevision set. Still, I can't be sure, so I put it out there, though I realized after the fact that I worded everything badly and didn't stress the ambiguity of the cards' existence enough. However, I had to really rush my answer and didn't get a chance to proofread throughly, which will teach me. Sorry about any confusion. As I said, I would file this one dubious at best, but I'll still be looking.

: : : BTW, I was very impressed with the quality of the Proset series; really high quality color pictures, especially when compared to the other Indy cards made by Topps. I wish Lucasfilm would let them do series for the next Indy movie, as well as new card sets for the "classic" films. But since when has Lucasfilm done anything right by Indy fans?

: : : Anyway, I hope this answers your question. If not just leave your question in another reply below.

: : : Laurie

: : Nope, not even close. Could you tell me who the Canadian supplier is that you are dealing with regarding your Mark VII bag? I have a friend in Toronto who is seeking one, but can't locate anyone in Canada. thanks. Regards. Michaelson

: Ahhhh... ok. The supplier I'm dealing with is American, not Canadian. I did take down the URL of several Canadian sites to check for bags, but I was able to find an American dealer first. Here's a listing of some Canadian based militaria sites I was able to find online:

: Coty Collectibles-There are actually CANADIAN gas mask bags from 1941 listed on the site, but they don't mention whether they are MK VI or Mk VII (the mistaken Mk VI bags I received are from 1941).
: http://www.link.ca/~cody/index.html

: Mel's Militaria and Collectibles
: http://members.tripod.com/~MelvilleG/

: Antique Militaria
: http://www.clic.net/~militar/

: Antiques & Militaria
: http://web.arcos.org/antnmili/INDEX.HTM

: Invicta International
: http://www.ncf.carelton.ca/~dp821/

: The Collector's Guild-seems to mainly deal in German militaria, but also sells Brit and Canadian stuff.
: http://www.ics.nb.ca/guild

: Tell your friend to just keep emailing until he/she gets lucky. I just went down a list of every militaria dealer that sold British surplus and emailed them until I received a positive response. You also might want to contact The Raider; his reply message to my brown belt information mentioned that there were many surplus stores in Edmonton that sold the bags. Maybe he could give your friend some numbers to call.

: If your friend can't find anyone in Canada, I would be happy to email my dealer and ask him if he could find your friend a bag or two. I found out the reason I got the wrong bags-the dealer is using a new supplier and this latest shipment of bags was only Mk VI instead of the correct Mk VII. He didn't notice the difference (they're really identical except for the back flap). He was very apologetic and said he would find me some Mk VII bags, which he did; they're shipping next week. Obviously, he's not rolling in Mk VII's right now, but he could probably fill a limited order.

: Hope your friend finds a bag. He/she has my sympathies!

: Now, I have a question. It's about the Young Indy cards. Were widevision cards made, or is my friend wrong? I figured if anyone on this board would know it would be you, since you have the largest Indy collection I've ever heard of!

: Thanks in advance for any information.

: Laurie

Wow this string is getting long. Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along. Personally I have never seen or heard of a widevision version of the cards, but I do have a source that can find out for me, so stay tuned. I'll give her a call tonight. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]