Bret

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leo2space140.utsi.edu on December 18, 2000 at 11:26:56:

In Reply to: Getting a little jingoistic, aren't we? posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert on December 17, 2000 at 21:35:56:

: How interesting how you seem to want to speak for the entire nation when you're statements just plain don't stand for everybody inhabiting your "great" nation.

: Whether or not Americans don't care what Canadians or any other nation thinks of your leader is well beside the point.

: For starters, how in the world can you live in the greatest country in the world when rate of violent crime is 25% in America then Canada. The rate of deaths due to guns is 8 times higher then Canada. You can buy your firearms along with your Cheeto's at pretty much every street corner and you have Columbine to prove all of this.

: In Canada, you don't need to mortgage your home every time you have a heartattack. Your nation still has a huge amount of racism that still needs to be getting over (especially in the South), true racism also exists in Canada, but not nearly as much in USA.

: And despite all of this, you still refer to your country as the greatest country ever. Maybe once all these problems are solved, then I won't mind your statement. You can only say this out of pure biased arrogance.

: I'm not here to say that Canada is a way better country then yours. That's not our style. I'm simply stating the facts here.

: Oh and you want to know why I concern yourself with American matters? Well, why the hell not? Your country is the most powerful country in the world (note I said powerful, NOT best), what happens south of me will effect me, and so will the rest of the world. I suppose I'll ask you the same question: Why does America immerse itself in conflicts that have nothing to do with themselves (Israel, Gulf War, Bosnia etc.)? Why has the United Nations been created? Why did many countries attempt to stop Hitler and the Nazi's in Germany?

: If I go by what you're saying, nobody should be concerned with what other nations do, because if they do, the prospect seems to boggle your mind or something.

: But I'm afraid I've gone too far since as graml has pointed out, this is an Indy forum, not a political forum.

: You can respond in with more jingoistic statements all you want and put me down with more immature comments about how your country is the best in the world just because you can bully around anybody you want. See if I care, since I won't bother to make any more replies to your political beliefs.

It's been said before, this isn't the place for these type of political debates. For every point you make above, a citizen of the US can make counter points against them, and point out problems that the Canadians have particular to Canada, but to what purpose? All you're creating is bad feelings, and strengthing the stereotypes that you, yourself, list. Drop it. Personally, after reading your rant here, I'll have to say I've lost a lot of respect for you, as you've painted all citizens of the US with a very wide brush, and that suprises me that you hold such a narrow minded view. I thought better of you. One of my best "Indy" friends that I have made over the years here on the internet lives and works in Toronto, lifetime citizen of Canada, and he holds exactly the opposite views of every point you've listed above, so I'm very happy to see not every Canadian holds your narrow minded viewpoint. Speaking for myself, I'd appreciate not reading these types of diatribe on this forum. This is not the place for it. (I hope I spelled that correctly, graml) And please don't write back say "he started it", because you fired the first shot. We all need to remember we're only guests of this forum, through the generosity of Micah. Let's not wear out our welcome here. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]