Very well said

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leo2space140.utsi.edu on December 19, 2000 at 11:37:33:

In Reply to: Wested: an UNDESERVED bad reputation posted by Indy Pete on December 19, 2000 at 02:58:32:

: Hi all...
: I just wanted to tell everyone how my Wested is doing approx. 2 months later. It's aging well. So well. I figure in a couple of months it'll begin to look REAL...but that's not what this is about. It's about quality. This jacket is FAN-TAS-TIC!

: a lot of people have been hearing about Peter Botwright's company of Wested Leather being "lower quality" or "not authentic"...and some of it's true...in a sense.

: no, you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT drag yourself behind a speeding truck on rough terrain in this jacket. no, your life is NOT a movie and the pleats can and will come out from the sides (what they're designed for) and sadly, you don't have a production assistant to fix 'em and make 'em look perfect.

: it's a hard reality...but it's true.

: there ARE other jackets out there. sure. of COURSE there are. and yeah, a LOT of them are "tougher" than the Wested. The Wested is made of LAMBSKIN. it's SOFT...it will FORM to your body.

: the jacket is GREAT. when people discuss its "authenticity" they are really talking about a jacket that is more inline with BEING Indiana Jones. as opposed to gettin' a real fine jacket.

: if you want to BE Indy...yeah, the lambskin is gonna rip. i promise, really. and the flightsuits one is probably going to be your best bet. BUT...

: if you want a NICE jacket. Top quality. Perfect fit. and one that CAN last for approx. 25 years or so (provided you take care of it) you'll want to get the Wested.

: I took my Wested to the local Cleveland area "Leather Dude" (*smirk*) and asked him what he thought....i wanted some conditioner and some water proofing, but he said "Just get the water proofing...you won't need to condition this coat for a couple YEARS" it was the softest leather he'd ever seen...

: comfort...quality...and it's OWN style. it's SUCH a good jacket. and no, i'm not just justifying my-broke-self spending a lot of money on a coat. it's really that good.

: i just thought i'd say all this because i've been thinking it since the bad reputation started. i don't think it's the jacket people are frustrated with. i think it's more WHAT you're buying it for. things to think about would be "What do you want it for? a jacket to wear? strictly a costume? planning on saving the world?"

: i happen to wear my jacket EVERY day during my job (radio on the internet) my audience sees me in it every day. (streaming video at work) and it looks GREAT.

: so those are my thoughts...have a great day.

: Peter Talcott

No additions, but I do find it interesting that each coat seems to have it's own story to tell. Where one coat (like yours and my daughters lambskin Raiders) takes it for years and just continues to age gracefully, and the one in her care is taking daily abuse, and I MEAN abuse in a college environment. Then you read of the folks who are wearing their jacket, they pass by a fence and the jacket immediately rips. The quality of the leather from jacket to jacket seems to wander all over the scale. Other than that, I totally agree. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]