The mystery of the hair felt is solved!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy (rodent expert) from pool0679.cvx7-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on December 20, 2000 at 14:41:47:

In Reply to: Re: Is that a rabbit or a hare in your fedora? posted by Michaelson on December 20, 2000 at 11:51:39:

: : The rabbit differs from the related hare in its burrowing habits, and in having the young born naked and helpless. Furthermore, if you hit a rabbit at 70mph, it will leave a ding, while a hare will make a dent. :p
: : FG

: Did you read this somewhere, or is this from years of research on your part? (grins) I thought the "road kill" law was mainly for us Tennesseans! Considering that the eBay ad was in German, maybe they mispelled "hair", when they really mean't "herr" for "Mr" rabbit fur. Ah, never mind! Regards. Michaelson

Hair felt is just the literal translation of "Haarfilz". "Haar" is the German word for "hair". Therefore the Mayser hat is made from some felt of dubious origin. Wool is really hair too, right? So, I would say that it is in fact a wool felt hat. I knew someone who had that particular brand hat. I remember it shrank two sizes after it got wet, but it did have a nifty ;) Indiana Jones bronze pin at the hatband...
Fall Guy
PS: The words "Haar", "hair", and "hare" seem etymologically related, don't they? ;)
PS: To answer your question: Biology class, many years ago! :)
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: