Re: Here's what I did...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on September 04, 1998 at 09:24:16:

In Reply to: Here's what I did... posted by IJFan on September 04, 1998 at 09:07:36:

: I decided last night to try to dye my strap a darker brown. The color I had was too light (I'm living with the light weight leather for the time being). I got some shoe leather dye...not polish, but the liquid stuff you apply with a cotton ball like applicator to refinish the edges of soles and whatnot. I gave it a good dousing with this stuff, let it dry, and then soaked it in water for about twenty minutes. Nothing came off. So then I got out some rubbing alcohol (recommended as a solvent on the bottle of dye) and a rag and scrubbed it until I really had to work to get more color off on the rag. I'm hoping that it's pretty well fixed at this point, but I'm going to try repeating that process again in a few days after it's dried more.

: -IJFan

That will work. I'd still suggest that you rub some sort of dressing into the leather to soften it, because though the dye will be fixed, the alcohol bath will dry out your leather, and it will eventually crack because the alcohol will pull out all moisture in the leather fibers. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]