Flight Suits jacket information

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Prescott from A010-0088.LACR.splitrock.net on December 23, 2000 at 01:00:40:

Flight suits jacket #1
Ordered in September and received in November.
Size 42 Reg. In lambskin.
The body on this jacket is big, I mean really big. With the side straps cinched all the way, I could wear two sweatshirts underneath. The cargo pockets seemed small in comparison to my Wested. This is because of the differing designs of the hand warmer pockets. In the Wested setup, the pocket has to be longer to allow any chance of getting your hands in. The FS design allows your hands to get into the warmer without the extra length. The pocket flap also has a slight scallop to it that the Wested lacks. After reviewing Raiders in the opening cave scene, there is a good side shot of the jacket and the pocket flap does indeed have a scallop to it. The color of the FS jacket is lighter than the Wested. The back expansion pleat works flawlessly with the side strap being designed and placed correctly. Length is good, right at the top of my pants pockets. The choice of hides is so perfect that the leather almost looks manmade, use and natural distressing should make this jacket look better with age. The only real problem I had with the FS jacket is the short sleeve length and the large body. So I contacted FS and sent the jacket back.

Flight suits jacket #2
Ordered in November and received in December.
Size 40 Long with 1.75 inches added to the sleeves. In goatskin.
After talking with Kathy at FS, I decided that a smaller jacket with extra length is what I needed. I also changed the hide from lamb to goat because the lamb felt too delicate to wear and was too shiny. The goat is perfect for me. It’s heavier, darker and has a more durable stiffness that appeals to me. I went with the chrome tanned, as it’s softer than the vegetable tanned goat. Kathy informed me that FS was reconsidering offering the expedition jacket in the vegetable tanned goat. Jacket length and color are perfect. The body is much better with no loss in shoulder between the 42R and 40L. This jacket will definitely outlast me.

My recommendations for ordering the expedition are as follows. Since most of us can’t be personally fitted at FS, the next best thing is to order an off the rack size that you have the best history with. It' probably not a good idea to start ordering custom sizing without a frame of reference. My personal experience is that the body runs wide and the sleeves short. When you get your jacket and it fits, great. If not, give the people at FS a call and they’ll walk you through what you need. They really will do this until everything is right for you. Send the old jacket back and wait for the new. Turn around time is about two weeks. I know this sounds like an awful lot to go through but it pays off in the end. You’ll be very happy with the expedition.

Regards
Prescott

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: