Re: What's up with putting music from other movies on trailers.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc from spider-mtc-th052.proxy.aol.com on December 24, 2000 at 02:18:58:

In Reply to: What's up with putting music from other movies on trailers. posted by the Fiddler on December 23, 2000 at 21:25:41:

: I know it's kinda off topic, but related.

: I'm wondering what the heck is up with putting music from another movie's score, on a trailer?

: I distinctly remember hearing a track from the Ghost and the Darkness on a trailer for that lame move about the anti-superheros (the one with perv Pee-Wee Herman). It seems like it might have played at the begining of Episode I.

: Then the other day I wen't to see Vertical Limit (pretty good movie btw), and hearing a track from the BraveHeart soundtrack played durring a trailer. It might have been All the Pretty Horses, though I'm not sure... if not it was another preview for a movie that was more of a drama like that one.

: Any comments on why this is done? I mean common? Multi-million dollar films, and they can't even get someone to write a little trailer music? Especialy stealing from a movie/soundtrack like BraveHeart.

: Oh and I know they've got all the legalities of it worked out, I'm just talking about ethical/quality side of this whole idea.

: --(a realy tired) Fiddler

Usually the reason why they put another film's score in movie trailers is because the trailers are released before the score for that particular film is written. Scores are usually one of the last components of the film to be added, some even being composed & recorded less than a month before the film's opening. There are, in fact, very few legalities involved. Since the studios already own the rights to the scores written for films that they've released, it's a small matter to toss a few bucks worth of royalties at the composer to re-use the music. It's a lot cheaper and easier than getting someone to compose an original piece for what amounts to a glorified 30-second commercial. For example, the score for "The Thin Red Line" has been used rather effectively in trailers for next year's "Pearl Harbor", and "Saving Private Ryan"'s trailer featured underscore from "The American President". You'll find that most trailers, except for those released close to the film's opening, utilize music from other movies.
Hope this helps shed some light.

-Doc

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: