Re: Original tannery..

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from dial1022.tnns.net on December 24, 2000 at 22:23:46:

In Reply to: Original tannery.. posted by Mark on December 22, 2000 at 15:18:00:

The poster's name and registered IP address don't match. This post is probably the work of an impersonator, take it with a grain of salt:

: : : I was just checkin' out the Flight Suits webpage and they got a section telling about all the different types of leather they use(link below). It got me thinkin' about what type of leather was used for Indy's jacket. Has Wested ever said what type they used for sure? On the Flight Suits page they have little images of the leather to show the grain textures and some are more "pebbled" than others. I always thought Indy's jacket was relatively smooth, but I doubt it was lambskin. So, what do ya think leather experts?

: : : Austin Powers

: : Lambskin, but the original tannery that they got the original leather from is no longer in business, so the quality of leather is no where near as good as the original versions. The best substitute I've come across would be the "new finish cowhide" that Peter offers at Wested. At Flight Suits, ALL their leathers are prime, so you'll have to make that call yourself. (sorry about that. Wish it were easier) Regards. Michaelson

: Just curious, has anybody here ever bought a jacket made of the leather from the original tannery? Or is this just a word of mouth comparison? To what extent does the quality differ?

I'm sure there's a red warning message at the header (or at least there BETTER be) because I'm at my relative's machine this Christmas Eve. (Merry Christmas again, by the way) I've never heard of anyone saying whether or not they've ever had a jacket from the original supplier. Peter himself said told me the differences regarding the leathers, and said that the leather just wasn't near as good as the original now, but he was pleased with the New Finish cowhide, and from all descriptions I've heard of the original lambskin, this leather does act like the material he told me(us) about way back when. I'd suggest you contact Lee Kepler, as he may have one, as he's been in it a long as I have, but has had much closer ties to the original manufacturers that the vast majority of us had. (No "grins" on this one either. (grins) Whoops....too much eggnog. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]