Re: Thoughts on ships and submarines

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hazelton from 208.229.128.117 on December 25, 2000 at 00:41:57:

In Reply to: Thoughts on Gunga Din & King Solomon's Mines posted by MK on December 21, 2000 at 15:16:31:

: Tanks for the suggestions. I watched these movies this week.

: "King Solomon's Mines" (1950) Good movie for it's time. It won a well deserved Oscar for cinematography. The stampede footage was amazing.

: "Gunga Din" (1939) was a good oldfashion adventure movie. A little slap-stick at time, but a lot of fun. There were moments when I felt a little keystone cops was sneaking in. I do wish the print had been better. Many times people were just in silhouette.(The ASA was 25 back then). A little long, but a good adventure. I am sure this was a big influence for "Temple of Doom".

: Tonight I will watch "Assault on a Queen" (1966). I don't know if it is an adventure, but I am watching it for another reason. One of my other hobbies are ships. I love oceanliners and submarines. The ship used in this movie is the Queen Mary, which is one of the greatest liners ever built. She is one of the four "thousand footers" (Queen Elizabeth, Normandy, France) Indy fans will note that she was launched in 1936. I am a lucky man beacause she is permanently docked in Long Beach, about 30 minutes drive. I take clients to dinner there and my wife and I stay on the ship for the weekend about 4 times a year:-)

: Are there any other Indy fans into ships?

I used to be. I lived on a boat in Marina Del Rey when I was younger. I used to think that if I ever won the lottery, I'd like to get a WWII fleet boat to live on; range: about 12,000 miles. Later I lived in Lakewood, about 15-20 minutes away from the Queen Mary. Never went aboard her, though. Now I've been living in Orlando for a year and a half and still haven't been to Disney World or any of the other attractions; too much hype for me, probably. (I'm not accusing the Queen Mary of being just a bunch of hype, though.)
Respectfully,
Hazelton.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: