Re: What matters is the outcome

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MK from adsl-63-194-18-73.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on December 26, 2000 at 12:22:06:

In Reply to: Indiana Jones 4- What matters is the outcome posted by Indiana Eastwood on December 26, 2000 at 01:02:01:

A lot of action films went down hill because the writing and/or the acting was poor. Some filmmakers are hacks. When a great action film (like Raiders) comes along and makes a ton of cash, hacks think "there is money in action!" They think as long as they have stunts and explosions it will work. That's flawed thinking. There's money in great films. To make one, you have to possess the skills and have a heart for the genre.

I have the same gripe about science fiction. Star Wars makes a fortune and the hacks who couldn't care less for the genre get dollar signs in their eyes. "We don't need good writers or actors. All we need is spaceship and a raygun to shoot some martians. The little bastards will pay millions"

I agree we need great action films. There are not that many out there. Most fall short. The Mummy for example: TOO MUCH CGI!!. I am taken out of the period by flashy computer generated images. The Indy series is physical and have kept cgi to a minimum.

This week my project is watching the movies and serials that inspired Raiders. One reason I decided to do this is I can't find movies that have the elements of Raiders. It is treasure hunting, believable stunts, WWII, desolate locations, great characters, a damn good score, a little bit of the western genre, all exquisitely woven together in a brillent tale.

I agree what matters is the outcome.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]