I thought M:I-2 had a terrible plot, too! But put Tom Cruise's name on it, and it's a blockbuster!(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Eastwood from 1Cust183.tnt2.fresno.ca.da.uu.net on December 26, 2000 at 16:58:54:

In Reply to: Re: Indiana Jones 4- What matters is the outcome posted by Brian K. on December 26, 2000 at 15:02:00:

: : If Indy 4 gets made, it'll have to be pretty damn good. Action stars such as Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis, and shortly Arnold Schwarzenegger are fleeing the genre.

: I think Gibson, Willis, et al. are fleeing the genre because they're getting OLDER! It becomes hard to convincingly play these types of roles as people age. Let's face it...even Schwarzenegger, a guy I wouldn't want to meet in a dark ally even today, is frankly not as bulked as he used to be and age is beginning to show on their faces. They want to try to make the transition to serious drama in order to keep working. These guys aren't stupid..they're thinking of the future. Unfortunately crossing genres successfully is something all too rare. Action films will die, and it's not because of the dumbing down of the writing, although I'll agree that's a part of it. The more pressing problem for the genre is that there is no one coming up to replace the 80's action stars. MI:2 (a zero plot actioner) was one of the highest grossing films of the summer, so I don't think it's lack of audience interest. ( I personally hated the film, but to each his own. )

: BK

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]