Inexpensive prop guns for Indy

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by WndJameR from spider-mtc-td031.proxy.aol.com on December 29, 2000 at 02:06:25:

I ran across this site ironically as a link from Peters Bros Hats, where I'm researching a hat for a totally different hero, the Shadow. But as I have been doing costumes and props as a hobby for over 30 years, I figured I could at least steer some of my fellow fans in the right direction for inexpensive prop guns to round out your outfit. These props are solid high impact polyurethane plastic, no moving parts. But they met the 10 foot rule, and are often used in scenes as background pieces or where the weapon is tossed around or dropped. The manufacturer is Bryson's Plastics out of Montrose, CO. He carries both a S&W Mod 10 K frame with 4" barrel and a S&W Mod 29 N frame with 4" barrel. His current price is $35.00 per piece. His web site is "www.Propguns.com". Another good source is the Collector's Amoury out of Alexandria, VA (www.cllectorsamoury.com). They have some nice non-firing replicas, as well as some nifty blank-firing pieces, cost tends to run around $85.00-$135.00 per item. Yet another source is Pineridge7 (www.pineridge7.com)similar items and price range. On Ebay.com and good source is "thejoker2u" and "sailor570". They deal in blank firing replicas, however that is an auction, so the price range will vary.
I have done costumes from the Terminator to Indian Jones, from Snake Plisskin to the current one in progress, the Shadow. These are the sources I use for my prop weaponary. They're realistic looking, reasonably durable, and except for New York City, Connecticut, and other places with draconian gun laws, legal to own without a permit or license of any kind. Of course, check your local gun laws and treat these with the same respect you would a real one. But the key thing is they sure beat knocking down several hundred dollars, plus all the legal hassles for the real thing.
By the way, it is a 1921 Thompson in Temple of Doom. It has the charging bolt on top of the receiver. The 1928 and M1A versions have the charging handle on the right side of the receiver.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]