"Raiders" Jacket Observations

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupF107.mpls.uswest.net on January 04, 2001 at 04:12:35:

I just got done watchin' "Raiders" and I noticed a couple things about the jacket. First, the top section of leather on the back of Indy's jacket is considerably smaller than my Wested's. I thought this MAY have been because Ford's built different than me(he's almost hunchbacked in some scenes), but you can plainly see in any shot of the back of the coat that the seams are WAY closer together than Wested's. The seams I mean are the shoulder seams on the top of the coat(running from the neck out to the end of each shoulder) and the shoulder blade seam(running horizontally across the shoulder blades). If you pause the movie when Indy's back is turned you can easily see that the seams are only about 3 inches apart at their closest points, hence making the pleats in the back run higher(which would make them work a lot better). I never understood why my Wested's pleats were pretty much below my armpit. That totally defeats the purpose. Other jackets I've had have pleats(or "bi-swing backs") that start at the shoulder seams and run down about 3/4 or the back. This makes them work great. I looked at the pictures of the Flight Suits coat and their seams are about 5 or 6 inches apart. Is this something that was overlooked, or was the movie jacket that was measured different in this way than the one(s) we see on screen?

Second, it almost seems like the whole back of Indy's jacket has a slight "V" shape to it. In some spots in the movie it almost looks like the spot where the pleats meet the shoulder blade seam are positioned over half the width of his arms. Whereas my Wested's pleats meet the shoulder blade seam directly where the underside of my arms meets my torso. So Indy's jacket has a shoulder blade seam that's longer horizontally than mine. It probably makes no sense, as it's hard as hell to explain. But Indy's shoulder blade seam covers a little bit of his upper arms, where my Wested's only covers my back. Get it?

Austin Powers

P.S. Has anyone watched "Raiders" recently? That Belloq character looks EXACTLY like the host of that "Survivor" show.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]