VERY true!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leo2space140.utsi.edu on January 07, 2001 at 14:01:51:

In Reply to: Re: Signed Indy Photos posted by danno on January 06, 2001 at 17:49:23:

: 60 Minutes had a story on autographs awhile ago, and Ebay was a biggie in there. Beware, they claim 90% of autographs are fake! COA is nothing but a peice of paper saying its legit, you can make one yourself. 60 Minutes had Mark McGuire authenticate autographs they bought, from Ebay and a respected dealer in Los Angeles, every one was a FAKE! The dealer still backed up his claim, saying he was there when McGuire signed them. Then walks in McGuire! To inform the dealer every single one was a fake! Of course with Big Mac there, he tried to stand by his story, but offered a full refund.
:
: Another spin is this: A local radio station here in the Cincinnati area had Elvis's secratary on their program. DJ showed here a signed photo he was sent after he wrote a letter to Elvis. Talked about how he loved this signature and all that, well the secratary took out a peice of paper and scribbled the exact signature. She just told him that of course Elvis was a very busy person, but wanted all his fan mail answered, even though the autograph actually wasnt his. I guess you could say well at least he was generous enough to see that all letters were answered.

: I used to love the autograph thing ALOT, from childhood to now. But unless YOU see him sign whatever, be very, very cautious! In all honesty, it flat out isnt worth the price, or hassle with all the scams out there. Danno

I can speak from experience on this topic, as many years ago I worked for the Highway Patrol photolab in an un-named State here in the U.S. (for reasons I'll make clear in a moment). We had a Department of Highway Safety head who was a very political animal, and had us photograph and print some HUGE mural aerial photos of the beautiful anti-bellem state capital building, and he gave them to each and every state senator and the governor of the state, each signed and with a "personal note" from him on every photo, signed in gold ink. Almost all of these photos are now on public display in offices, entry hallways, and senate chamber rooms of many of the official state buildings in this state capital. The director in question passed away several years ago, and I've heard from many friends there (I'm no longer living there, by the way) that these photos have great acclaim, most are now under lock and key, because this director was a very powerful man in his day, and these photos with his personal signature and greeting are prized keepsakes of his tenure in office. The only problem is.....I signed each and every photo myself, duplicating his signature as close as I could using example he had provided me to go by. This man didn't have the time to do this mundane work, didn't really like most of the people he was giving the photo to anyway, and so it fell to me, one of the lab assistants and member of the public information office, to sign all of the photos, and include personal greetings and such. It amuses me to think that it's my handwritten messages that are actually under lock and key and on display in that city. I guess you can now understand why I don't say WHERE this location is. It would probably embarrass a few folks down there. Oh well. But it's true, buyer beware! Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]