Yea, we discussed a predistressed option...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on January 09, 2001 at 11:49:00:

In Reply to: Trip to Flight Suits 2: AN UPDATE posted by MK on January 08, 2001 at 21:22:51:

: I had a great morning at FS today. I spent an hour in the show room looking at the various jackets in their line. It was very educational. I have already said how great the quality of the materials and craftsmanship is, so I won't repeat it here. There are many features I noticed on A-2s and G-1's. I know those are not Indy jackets, but I figure Jones's jacket was based on a military flight jacket. I was happy to find FS had three Expedition jackets that were completed. One was a horsehide, and two lamb (42R & 44R). I don't care for the horsehide, so I will tell you about the lamb. I assumed I took a 46R. I tried on the 42R and it was surprisingly close to fitting me. I just needed a couple more inches in the chest. The 44R fit well in the chest, but the waist is too big for an Indy fit. That's one of observations I wanted to point out: Indy jackets are difficult to fit if your not built like an athlete. You don't have to have a "V" shaped back to wear an A-2 and look good. You can have a little extra room for wearing a sweatshirt, no problem. That's not the case with an Indy jacket. Ford's is a fairly snug. There is no elastic material like on an A-2 to pull the bottom of the jacket snug, so if it's a few inches larger at the waist, it feels weird. (not to mention a little drafty). I am having a 44R made with a smaller waist. (I hope it doesn't accent my gut). There were a couple of little funky things, but Patterson has already addressed them and they’re already making the changes in the next run. I haven’t decided on the leather yet, but I am leaning toward one of the goats. I want to age some samples first.

: The most interesting news is, Dave Marshal and Jim the owner's interest in my hand aged Wested. They found it very interesting. They were surprised to see that the acetone didn’t destroy the jacket. Side-by-side they're night and day. Mine looks like the jacket in the movie (the leather, not the cut). The Expedition looks in their words "Too New". We VERY briefly discussed a possible option of an "aged leather look". I am not talking about that weird "distressed" leather (it doesn't look anything like Ford's jacket). It would be too labor intensive to age individual jackets like I did. Dave talked about treating the leather first. Jim felt the look could be achieved with two colors used instead of just one. Don't get your hopes up yet though. This is just in the idea stage. Also it would be a big commitment for FS. A special batch of leather would have to be ordered. At this time they don't have a market for jackets that have a "used" look. .....Now if I could just get them to use kangaroo.......:-)

Personally? I think the wested new looks more "new" than the FS lamb. I'd really be interested in seeing the FS lambskin after you get done with the acetone. Personally, though, I think I'll just break mine in the old fashioned way.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: