Cowboy hat or Fedora?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MK from adsl-63-194-18-73.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on January 12, 2001 at 18:40:54:

In Reply to: HJ Question for Fedora or anyone else?? posted by Indiana Sean on January 11, 2001 at 23:59:51:

I will add my $.02: I know what you are struggling with. I have looked at the same photos. Let's look at the facts.

1)The original Herbert Johnson fedora was very soft and pliable.

2)There was more then one hat used. That is a legistic involved in making movie. (I am sure they went through several during the swimming to the plane, in the opening scene.)

3) Ford was constantly fiddling with his hat during the shooting. (This can be seen on the Behind-the-scenes, Making-of video, plus on a privately made tape I have.)

4) Ford changes the placment of the hat on his head. He uses the hat as a tool to accent his mood and expression. Case in point: he changes the position after grabbing the idol to express relief.

There is only one explaination that I can see. It DOES change for scene to scene.

One final point. Indiana's fedora borders on looking like a cowboy hat in some scenes in Raiders. Perhaps an Australian outback hat is more closer description. At any rate the Raiders hat is on the outer boundries of the fedora family. I for one DON'T want people thinking I am wearing a cowboy hat. The one key attibute of a fedora is the back edge of the brim curls up. So I shape my hats to reflect the scenes where that can be sceen.

Many people think the rear brim is turned down like in the front. Not true! It is pretty much straight out with the curl I spoke of earlier. The reason for this illusion is in many scanes, Ford wears the hat farther back on his head. That also gives that slant look to the crown. The bar scene photo we have all been studing shows this very clearly. Look at the angle of the hat on his head. OK, Im done now. :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]