OK Austin, Here's your answer

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Sean from 24-164-153-78.nyc.rr.com on January 15, 2001 at 09:26:32:

In Reply to: Aldens: Is it just me.... posted by Austin Powers on January 15, 2001 at 04:30:00:

Ok I hope this helps:

I was in San Francisco last month and I actually went down to the Aldens shop and purchased a pair. Now I normally wear a size 10, so the guy brings up a pair of 10s and put them on me, and like you said, they were WAY too big. I remember saying, "Wow, that's strange, usually I wear 10s" and he replied that that particular boot runs a little big.

So I tried on a 9 1/2. They fit A LOT better but there still seemed to be way too much room in the toe. I suggested to the man that maybe we should go one more size down but he told me that in this design of boot, the toes should only reach the stitching, not go all the way to the end inside. I am guessing that because this is an orthopedic shoe, they designed it so that the toes were not constrained.

I finally went with the 9 1/2, and I am glad I did. Now that I have worn them a month, they don't seem too big at all and are VERY comfortable.

Also, remember that the width is important as well. I had to try on another pair to get the correct width since these boots also come in width sizes as well as regular sizes. The first pair was too tight in the width.

Incidentally, while I was discussing the boots while trying them on with the salesman, he told me that he receives orders from all over the world for this boot and that if I bought a pair, he would show me a photo he had of Harrison Ford wearing them. He did and it was pretty cool, but the picture looked like a color xerox of a real photo :(

He also gave me free some "Meltonian" Boot and Shoe Cream Polish for the boots. The color is #136, BRICK and seems to be right on for the coloring if you ever want to shine 'em up.

Hope this helps. Any questions let me know. Cheers!!!

: Hi, this's just my monthly rant about the appearance of my Aldens, so feel free to totally ignore this post.

: Now, I'm the dude who ordered his 10.5 Aldens but found they were insanely huge. I sent 'em back for a size 10, which fit great, but for some reason they still look huge. I made such a stink on the forum about how it should be a standard rule that people should order AT LEAST a half size smaller than normal. I think IndyGear heard me, because now they have a quote on their Shoe page which says as much. Glad you guys did that, it'll save some future buyers a whole lotta headaches. I just wish it was there before I ordered.

: But back to my new rant. The 10's fit great, very comfortable, but they still look big. It's not as obvious when I wear baggier khakis, but if I have jeans on the Aldens look like skis. Has anyone else noticed this? I noticed in some pictures of Indy his boots look a tad big too. What's up with this? Is it just an optical illusion in the design of the boot? When I hold the Aldens sole to sole with other boots, they're only maybe 1/8" longer. Yet these other boots don't look like "clown shoes". Maybe it's because I've never worn smooth-bottomed boots before. Hell, I've never worn any type of smooth-bottomed shoe. Do dress shoes automatically look longer too? Am I the only one who's bugged by this problem?

: Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]