Re: Raiders Holster

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on September 10, 1998 at 10:33:04:

In Reply to: Holsters posted by Krede on September 10, 1998 at 10:18:32:

: Hi,
: I recently bought two authentic WW2 holsters from a nice guy
: I met on the net. I got a very nice Raiders looking one which puts
: me in doubt wether the holster in the movie was custom-made as Iīve heard on this forum. It looks EXACTLY like it. The other one was a LC holster.
: I donīt think heīs got any more Raiders holsters but I bet heīs got
: alot of TOD & LC ones left.. anyway hereīs his homepage if anybody is
: interested. Just email him and ask for a WW2 officers holster with brass stud and flapover, SAM brown.

: http://www.collectorsnet.com/hoffmeyers/

: If you have questions feel free to email me or just post on the forum.
: Best,
: Krede

Good evening, Krede. I don't recall anyone stating for sure that the Raiders holster was custom. It has just been the conclusion that has been reached, as there have been no Smith and Wesson holster that have turned up that fit the shape of the Raiders version. The closest I came was having one custom made by a firm in Texas that is exactly as shown in the first movie. Most flap holsters that were made for the military were created for a utilitarian type weapon. Better stated, it fit just about any type revolver that was available at the time. The LC and Temple holster exhibits this type of design. No exact "gun" form to the leather. It should accept about any 6 inch barrelled revolver you want to stick in it. The Raiders version, on the other hand, showed a distinct shape, very close to a form fit to his N Frame Smith. If they were actually made for the old Smith and Colt 1917's during WWI, and I have absolutely no doubt that they were, they would be pretty hard to find, and would be a real collectors find as well. Bottom line, just speaking for here in the US, most old leather from before WWII, and for that fact WWII age, is very hard to find, and is usually in pretty sad condition. It seems like better conditioned items tend to turn up in Europe and that surrounding area. You are very fortunate to find such an item. Back in 82 I paid $65 for a custom created holster. To duplicate that same holster now would be over $150 and upwards. Congratulations on your find! Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]