Re: Then there is the question of color.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn001a-p2-039.cybertours.com on January 16, 2001 at 23:43:20:

In Reply to: Then there is the question of color. posted by MK on January 15, 2001 at 14:30:02:

: I still feel the current ribbons used are not as dark as the original one in Raiders. The ribbon in later movies looks like the current offerings. I am looking into a darker brown ribbon.

I agree that in some scenes it appears quite dark but remember also that cameras, lighting, sunshine, felt fading, indoors, outdoors, how dirty and dusty the felt is (because that gets dirtier quicker than the ribbon does, I have to tell you from experience!), all have something to do with how dark we perceive the ribbon to be in relation to the hat. I agree that it is dark, but I think the current HJ offering is pretty damn close to original. Remember that unless you were to identify the brand and make of the original 80 year old ribbon, then somehow track down a roll of this EXACT ribbon, AND ensure that it came from the same dye lot, that you will never find the exact color ribbon. Also, you can tell that the ribbon used on all of the hats, whether grosgrain or petersham was high quality, 50/50 cotton/rayon and not cheaper imitations. You can tell because it has less of a sheen to it. These ribbons tend to have a muted, less shiny appearance, indicating that it is better fabric.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]