He said "down the road".... that's funny. (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by satch from user-37ka9u1.dialup.mindspring.com on January 17, 2001 at 22:54:06:

In Reply to: Acetone First Try posted by MF on January 17, 2001 at 22:37:17:

: Plucked on the gloves, stuck the fan in the window, flipped on the Ken Burns Jazz series on PBS and applied MK's acetone trick to my Wested Raiders model.

: I stayed with light amounts and it did *exactly* what I'd hoped. Where the leather shown through in odd light patches from dragging on the road, the acetone picked up adjacent dye and filled out everything evenly and smoothly while giving just a hint of aging.

: Mine didn't age quite as well/thoroughly as MK's on his page, but I suspect that was due to my extremely light use of the solvent and also the intentional use of the same cotton rag (with the idea that it would hold and redistribute the dye).

: So my jacket is still basically as just about as dark as a new Wested, but the sheen (which is a tick too bright for me) has subsided.

: And the road damage is gone, replaced by a very minor aging affect.

: I suspect I'll try some more down the road when I can do this outside in the sun where I can see much better, but for now it served a great purpose for me. And it's too darn cold in Beantown for outdoor jacket work right now :-)

: I'm sure the level of distressing will be in correspondence to the amount of the acetone used and also how often you switch rags. I'd suspect that for more of a distressing purpose, that sturdy paper towels like Brawny would be a good choice.

: I'm gonna finish off with a very light application of Lexol once the jacket is thoroughly dry and the solvent completely evaporated.

: Anyway, thanks for the tip MK!

: -- MF

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: