Re: Is it darker then what PB have? (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn002a-p4-061.cybertours.com on January 20, 2001 at 15:02:19:

In Reply to: Is it darker then what PB have? (nm) posted by MK on January 20, 2001 at 12:49:07:

: : : As I have said in the past, I prefer a VERY dark brown ribbon. On Raiders my favorite pics of the fedora are when it looks black. Also I love the way the HJ looks on Indygear, but I believe that has more to do with the lighting, film and scanning. I don't think it is really that color. It has that dark chocolate look. Any way, I have had to settle for black ribbons on my hats. BUT, I have been on the hunt for THE color that is in my minds eye. I spent a good amount of time on the net, phone, and in a few millinery(?)and hat shops in LA. The only thing close is a ribbon that was sent to a hat shop by mistake. It was not the one they ordered and don't know where it came from. It is pretty good. The only problem is it is only an inch wide:-( So, my next step is to try the movie studio wardrobe departments. They may have some old 40's ribbon. If not I will try dying my own. I will let you know how I make out.

: :
: : The best Petersham dark brown ribbon I have seen so far is from Catherine Delaney:

: : Unit 006 The Chandlery
: : 50 Westminster Bridge Road
: : London
: : SE1 7QY
: : England

: : Very high quality stuff, but it needs to be rinsed in warm water to get excess dye out of it and soften it up a bit. Matched up against the brown of the HJ felt, it looks exactly like the LC hats.
: : It is troublesome to find high quality ribbon these days. Original hat ribbons were cotton or cotton/rayon blends, and these had less shine to them. Much more of a fabric look to them. Modern ribbons are mostly made from 100% polyester and so have that sheen to them. Not as nice looking. Delaney's ribbon looks fantastic. It has no shine to it whatsoever once the excess dye is rinsed out.

: : Greg

The ribbon is considerably darker when it is brand new, but once the excess dye has been washed out (to avoid bleeding on your hat), it is only a shade or two darker than the HJ ribbon.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]