Re: Bull Whip

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from pm439-33.dialip.mich.net on September 11, 1998 at 23:30:47:

In Reply to: Re: Bull Whip posted by Dale Dassel on September 11, 1998 at 11:42:10:

: I went a step further in my bullwhip's birthday celebration by
: watching Raiders of the Lost Ark while I was putting a nice coat
: of Pecard leather dressing on it. Then, after the movie, my dad
: installed a new coat hanger hook in my room to hang the whip
: from while the dressing soaks in. (That's what the wrist loop is
: for- hanging the whip by) David Morgan recommends letting the whip
: hang for a period of one week with the dressing on it. After that
: amount of time I use a soft buffer cloth to give the whip a finishing
: shine and to remove any excess dressing that didn't take. How do you
: do your whip?

: -Dale

Dale, basically I do the same thing with my whips. I hang them up, normally I hang them across a room so that they are not coiled up. Then I put a coat of (Pecard) leather dressing on them, let it set for the desired time. Then wipe off any excess with a soft cloth. I only do this one or twice a year, or if its really necessary. Between those coats I also put on light dressings on the thong, especially near the point and fall more often. In those cases I just rub in a small amount into the leather, and let it sit. You probably know this already, but make sure the whip is fairly clean before putting any dressing on it. Especially with outdoor use the fall and point tend get really dirty. Also you don't need to dress leather plaited handles as much as the rest of the whip, as over time it can cause the plaiting to loosen up on you.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]