Well

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on January 25, 2001 at 15:33:30:

In Reply to: Hmmm... posted by Fall Guy on January 25, 2001 at 14:10:24:

: : : Is Sallah really a good friend? I know he has risked his life for Indy on a number of occasions but he has no compassion. "Marion's dead." "Yes I know. But life goes on Indy." Kind of a coldhearted remark, yes? I'm a guy and never thought of it before but I was watching ROTLA with my girlfriend last night and she pointed it out. Interesting how wimmin think. (which thankfully isn't often. haha)
: : : BTW - Is it true that Sallah is executed in the original script?

: : Well, we're comparing Eastern vs. Western thought. As an Arab, Sallah would have been brought up to believe that life is just how he phrased it, "you live, you die, we'll remember you, but life goes on.", Where as the Western thought structure would be to mourn the loss for a period of time. Just different worlds of thinking. Regards. Michaelson

:
: The followers of the Islam have always struck me as rather emotional when it comes to death. Don't I see them crying theatrically in public often, then storming off slinging their arms (Im not talking about movies, but the news)? A bit stereotype? Maybe...
: I think we have to consider the status of women in the Islam then (and even now). Oppression and no rights - Trading camels for wives...
: As for Raiders, Spielberg probably didn't want to interrupt the flow of the movie (after Indy mourning) and just keep going.
: Just my thoughts...
: FG

There's nothing to say that Sallah WAS a follower of Islam, is there? I only say that because why would he warn Indy about going after the Ark when they were on Sallah's rooftop patio? Why would he care? Just a thought. Regards. Michaelson
: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: