Well, not to disagree, but...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on January 26, 2001 at 16:00:45:

In Reply to: true, true, posted by Inby on January 25, 2001 at 20:23:13:

: I too quickly grow weary when people claim anthro as a "science"... We're too often either liberal arts majors who've developed a knack for categorization, or frustrated science majors required to take a humanities course!
: We just stumble along as best we can, creating gossamer standards from chaos.
: That's why these things are called "disciplines" - you need some if you're going to make any kind of sense of it.
: (Reminds me of a remark regarding lawyers: the reason it's called "practicing law" is because so few of them ever get it right!).
: -Inby

...according to Webster's dictionary (yes, graml, I DO own one (grins)) "science is a department of systemztized knowledge as an object of study". An example it gives is "theology". Another definition is "possession of knowldege as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding." I guess anthropology, by the Webster defination, is as much a science as anything else offered in academics, and their Bachelor of Science degrees are proof of that. Of course, the practitioners of natural sciences disagree, but then they would. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]