Re: Buy a loose one on eBay for $20 and forget the other one....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bellosh from as-09-1-15-19.cwcom.net on January 27, 2001 at 09:14:35:

In Reply to: Buy a loose one on eBay for $20 and forget the other one.... posted by Curious on January 27, 2001 at 07:59:43:

You're right, to say that opening it would be 'insane' was a bit strong. And thanks for your reply, it was interesting to read your thoughts on the 'emotionally-charged' issue of opening. . . BTW, did Toys McCoy manufacture a motorbike for the Steve McQueen? And was it actually a 'Great Escape' figure, or some other film? Regards, Bellosh

: I don't want to influence anyone here, but I've opened my Toys McCoy and have it posed in my office. I also opened my Toys McCoy "Great Escape" Steve McQueen and display it. I don't invest in toys; that's what the stock market is for (usually). The few hundred I paid for the Toys McCoy isn't going to break me (no, I'm not rich) and even by opening it it's not completely devalued and worthless. I wouldn't lose any money on it until I sold it, and even then I would consider whatever difference in value between loose and NIB as the cost of my hobby. I'm not one of those who watches evey dollar and can't stand to part with a few. And for me, to have the Toys McCoy and keep it in a box in the attic for fear that someone might sneeze on it would be no fun at all. It looks fairly cool in the box but much better on my bookcase with his gun in his hand. (And Steve McQueen looks great on the German motorcycle--with the sidecar removed--jumping over Indy).

: Please don't follow my lead, but to say someone is insane for opening a toy is ridiculous. By the way, the Toys McCoys have great head scuplts but the bodies are mediocre. They have an exaggerated muscularity and are not as articulable as a regular old G.I. Joe.

: : My post above got me thinking - my other great piece of Indy luck was last year, when I bought a MOC Kenner Indy, Cairo and Toht on ebay all for $49 (the seller had written the title of the item in a way that made it sound like only the Cairo and Toht was for sale, and 'Indiana Jones' was just a keyword, so only about 4 people looked at the auction and I was the only bidder!) The Indy really is MOC, unpunched (the seller had apparently found an unopened box somewhere) and the only flaw is that the top of the bubble is severely dinged. Now, as I said in my previous post, I'm usually a toy opener, and the itch to open this Indy is becoming serious!! Should I do it. . .? How much will I regret it? It looks really cool on the card, but I want to pose it on my Well of Souls playset. Help!

:
: : : I got one, and they are simply EVIL. You want to take them out, hold them, play with them. . .I collect a couple of toy lines and I usually open them - toys are MEANT to be opened, do you know what I mean? And they're meant to be played with by kids, but you'd have to be insane to open a Toys McCoy, and when I have kids I can see myself having to sell it or hide it somewhere. But then, it's not a toy, it's a work of art. I don't have the horse, but the packaging for that is even more evil - 'For all your 12" figures!' Like, there's a line of these things and any kid can buy them anywhere. You have to love the retro-ness of it. I was really lucky with mine - I bought it on the secondary market for the same price it would have cost from the manufacturer, because there was apparently a flaw on the figure's head, a tiny scratch. Well, I've examined it VERY thoroughly, and that scratch is practically invisible, but without it it would have been right out of my price range (OK, it was anyway, but that's between me and my bank manager!). Owning one is great, but I wouldn't have paid more than $400 for it, and don't ever obsess about it, because I get more pleasure from watching Raiders than I do from looking at my Toys McCoy!!!!!

: : : : How many poeple have the Toys McCoy Indy? I was looking at some pics on the net and man is he impressive!! I just wish I could have got one. Anyway, so how many out there have one or two? And does Toys McCoy make small action figures 3 3/4" tall?

: : : : "Adios seņor"

: : : : Santiago

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: