ALWAYS willing to talk shop...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.112 on January 29, 2001 at 17:25:33:

In Reply to: Glad to posted by Michaelson on January 29, 2001 at 16:34:15:

: : Could you please give us a brief comparison of the U.S. Wings kangaroo and their V.I.P. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

: : Patterson, please feel free to chime in also. And is there an ETA on the Flight Suits Expedition? Thanks.

: : Just,
: : Curious

: The kangaroo is definitely lighter in physical weight, where the VIP is made from "naked" cowhide, which is the leather taken from the belly of the animal and only used in premium jackets. The VIP was originally offered to only Wings high end customers, and were only offered to us this past year by David Hack. Patterson has the kangaroo version, and would have to address the specifics, but the VIP has a red lining, almost satin like in material, and two inside breast pockets. The leather is as soft as the new finish cowhide Wested leather, but not as large grained as the Wested. The VIP is definitely MUCH heavier than the kangaroo, and I MEAN heavy, but in heavy winter weather, it is about as good a jacket as one can hope to get hold of in a winter blast. I've field tested, and am here to tell you that with no qualms what so ever. But due to it's heavy weight, I'm afraid it does limit you to how long a season you can wear one if you live in a warm climate. The kangaroo would be the best route to go in that respect. The VIP is also cut a bit larger size wise than the standard Wings offerings, so bear that in mind when you look at the grid from Wings in terms of deciding on sizing. Hope this helps somewhat. If not, just let me know what more you need and we'll go from there. Regards. Michaelson

Michael son’s assessment of the kangaroo is quite accurate, as we've been comparing notes on these two variations since we each picked them up. The roo skin is very light - lighter than lamb even in weight. It is, however, tougher than any other leather I've owned. It drapes much like lamb in so far as how it creases and breaks in. It smells really cool - like when you first pull that David Morgan or Joe Strain whip out of the box! I've worn mine in 10 degree F weather in Calgary, and 90-degree weather in LA. It is comfortable in either, though my deerskin Expedition was more comfortable in the snow, and I'd just as soon NOT wear a jacket when it's 90 degrees out - but I did it for you guys! The roo does fine in the rain, much as a goatskin would. It is a lot like wearing an old comfortable denim Levi jacket.

Hope this helps!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: