Interesting Indeed

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marhala Bartender from dix2-10.essex1.com on January 29, 2001 at 17:26:15:

In Reply to: Interesting. posted by Michaelson on January 28, 2001 at 13:45:36:

I certainly cannot speak for the entire population of Indy fans, but for myself, I am content with just about anything Indy. That is my one collecting hobby- things associated with Indiana Jones. I see that several people in the forum share my view and collect items associated with Indy just for that reason. Anyone and everyone is entitled to collect what they want connected with Indy. I certainly don't buy that refining our tastes and standing our ground will produce a collectible more suited for us. The fact is, most manufacturers care very little what the core group of fanatic fans desire in an Indy figure or any collectible for that. Manufacturers are interested in making money, which means producing something that the majority of people would be interested in purchasing. That allows for shortcomings in the quality of the item since not everyone is as attuned to details as the biggest of fans are.

For now, I am just happy that Indy is getting the figure treatment. And I feel that we should pretty much be pleased with what we are getting cause something is better than nothing. It is pleasing that manufacturers admit to a market existing for Indy figures and it keeps awareness of Indy going.

But what you said at the end was true, depending on the time frame, the items a person collects either constitute a valid and meaningful collection or they may be regarded merely as a horde of junk. And we must never forget that one man's junk is another's treasure.

It would be nice to see a time when manufacturers go straight to the biggest of fans for inspiration to merchandise, but with some of us being as particular as we are (and I am guilty of this as well), I don't know if they could ever make a figure to please us all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]