Re: historical note re: TOD Thuggees.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curious from 1Cust128.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on January 31, 2001 at 19:38:01:

In Reply to: historical note re: TOD artifacts posted by Inby on January 31, 2001 at 19:11:04:

Of course, the Thuggee cult really existed in India around 100 years ago. And they made great villains in the first great adventure film, "Gunga Din". I have always respected the Indy films in addition to just enjoying them because of the historical research that went into them. That's one of the reasons I have no personal interest in science fiction (except for "Blade Runner"--not because of Ford, either--and "The Matrix"). Anybody can make stuff up. But to tie it in with actual events takes effort. Plus, sci-fi is so unoriginal anymore.

I, for one, would very much like to see Indy foil Nazis again--why not? Just because it's been done before? So what. I also like nearly every hardboiled private eye there's been, even though most people feel that's been done to death. If it's done well there's no problem. But Indy could very easily foil Stalin and some sinister Soviet plot. They could explain why the Cold War never heated up more than it did and why the Communists eventually failed. And it would certainly explain Indy's advanced age.

Great post, Shawnkara. It's the most interesting one I've seen in a while. Though the discussion of Sallah and his faith a week or so ago was very cerebral and provocative, I took no interest in it. This, on the other hand, is my kind of stuff. And it beats the hell out of the new Indy toys.

My personal opinion only.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]