Re: Distressed Leather jacket

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LL from spider-wg031.proxy.aol.com on September 14, 1998 at 17:03:02:

In Reply to: Re: Distressed Leather jacket posted by Michaelson on September 14, 1998 at 08:49:13:

: :
: : : : : : I have both a Wested (raiders)$270 and a Disney jacket $355
: : : : : : both are very different. The disney (florida) jacket is quite abit heavier, distressed (very interestingly) and undoubtably more suitable for colder weather.
: : : : : : Anyway I like both of them equally.

: : : : : : Any idea's about how to distress the Wested jacket?? I sent an email to wested regarding this but never received a reply --and yeah the sleeves are very long (which I like as I'm a 42 Long - I've always had problems finding a good sleeve fit in any type of clothing so this was great!)

: : : : : : Question: I'm new to the forum and was wondering A) how tall is Harrison Ford? B) How much does he weigh? Just curious!

: : : : : : Thanks in advance!!

: : : : : : clay

: : : : :
: : : : : :

: : : : : Hi there,

: : : : : Do you know that you can also order a distressed version of the Wested
: : : : : jacket? I talked to Mr. Botwright about it some time ago and he told
: : : : : me that they actually but it into the dryer with some large pebbles. I'd
: : : : : rather prefer to let a leather jacket age gracefully - with time and
: : : : : use. There are however some ways to make it look more distressed: One
: : : : : possible way would be to rub it against a rough brick wall or drag it
: : : : : through sand or gravel. Also, if you want to do it very professional
: : : : : you can use sandpaper (especially around the seames).

: : : : : Harrison Ford is 6 ft. tall but I don't know his weight. However, I
: : : : : think the jackets he wore in the movies were all 42, like yours.

: : : : : By the way, you said you are new to the forum so you will probably wanr
: : : : : to check out "Indy's Diggs", a page dedicated top all the Indy clothes
: : : : : and equiptment. It also contains owner reviews from this forum and a
: : : : : bunch of information. Just click the link below.

: : : : : Regards,
: : : : : -Max

: : : : Thanks Max,

: : : : Yeah i wondered about sandpaper?

: : : : Also I suppose that premature distressed leather is somewhat weaker anyway?

: : : I've said it before, I don't understand the value of paying someone extra money to pre-wear out a new garment that I am just as capable of wearing out myself. Has never made any sence to me. Regards. Michaelson
: : I agree Michaelson, but i'm very curious to know how they exactly got to make the wested the way it appeared in the movie. Take care,
: : G.J.R.

: Well, combined information from other posts suggests the tumbling of the jacket in the dryer with the pebbles, which is pretty much a standard "distressing" practice, the light sanding of along the seams to highlight those areas that the pebbles miss. Other than that, there isn't much more you'd need to do to achieve that look. It's a controlled breakdown of the outside jacket fibers to create a weathered hard use look. Peter Botwright himself suggested in past posts and discussions of rubbing againest a brick wall. I'll pass, thank you. Rubbing a $275 jacket against a brick wall to achieve a worn out appearance is just beyond my understanding. I guess the final straw is paying an extra $50 or so to have someone do it for you is sort of salt in the wound to me. Oh well, maybe it's just me. Anyway, you do what pleases you, and if distessed is what you want, by gar, go for it! Regards. Michaelson

I think that some peole may want the distressed version because they won't be doing any activities in the jacket that will make it look that way. Some people may want an Indy jacket look, to wear out somewhere, but may want it to look authenthic. Well, I guess I'm just babling so see ya!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]