Meaning?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on February 02, 2001 at 10:49:57:

In Reply to: "Lee Kepler has had a long standing relationship with their (FS) company for many years." Why doesn't this surprise me? Sigh (NM) posted by DeWayne on February 01, 2001 at 03:29:09:

Lee is in the gun holster business, and has been for many years. He has had the relationship with FS for personal and professional reasons LONG before the jacket project ever came up. Regards. Michaelson

: : : : : I'll throw you this one, since Patterson is avoiding damage to his and Peter's mending fences. In light of the documented "Raiders" jacket and the info it has provided was it ever considered to pass this info to Peter himself? I fully agree with the sentiment that Peter's "Raiders" jacket is something of a hybrid. Twenty years ago Peter could NEVER have guessed what Indy would become and I'm sure that no craftsman keeps every single pattern for everything they've done. To someone that's not as rabid as we are, it's the same jacket in all three films. The LC patterns were still in his possession, so he modified them from memory to meet the "Raiders" specs. I guess my point is, why Flight Suits? I know they have a great reputation, but maybe Peter would have been interested in recovering what he had lost. I know I would have. Don't get me wrong, "You've done your country a great service, Patterson". These are just the things I think when I'm home alone and the power goes out....

: : : : I'll tackle this one, as I'm one of the three that began the process from the very beginning....FS was already in the loop, as Lee Kepler has had a long standing relationship with their company for many years. In his opinion, and which has proven out, they were the best choice for the project in terms of working through the long tedious details in creating a "correct" jacket for an interested public. This information was indeed shared with Peter before FS took up the gauntlet, but at the time he decided not to make the changes and passed on the offer by Patterson to him. You're absolutely correct, though, 20 years ago he never guessed that the jacket would still be one of his biggest sellers. Hope this sheds a little more light on the topic. Regards. Michaelson

: : : It was produced at least through the early nineties, and it has higher mounted side straps and gussets and is closer to the "Raiders" jacket in appearance. I think Matt Walker stated his first Wested has these attributes. So, this makes it only about 6 years ago that Peter changed to a basicly modified "Last Crusade" jacket. Why? I'm sure I don't know.
: : : Cheers,
: : : Dakota

: : Thanks for the coverage here guys. On a few points? Peter was given absolute first right of refusal on the specs before I would give them to FS or anybody else. FS was working up their own jacket with Lee Keppler's help, but this was based on movie observations and nothing else. Peter had first and exclusive shot at my stuff because it was originally his jacket. He passed.

: : On the Leather Concessionaires jacket - remember they were just the corporate predicessor to Wested. Same folks, same management - Peter Botwright. The jacket you refer to was actually based on a prototype Lee Keppler provided Peter back in the mid 80's, that coincidentally was made by Flight Suits. This was in response to Peter having provided Lee with what he called Raiders jackets, but based on the pics I've seen looked more like bellhop jackets - shoulder pads, seams more like you'd see on a dress suit, very short waisted. The patterns were lost, and I believe they were taking a SWAG at what they made. Lee corrected them just about in time to make the Last Crusade jacket. I've held prototypes made by FS back in 1986. I've said a lot, and theres more, but I'll shut up.

: : Cheers!

: : Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: