The stupidity of corporate mentality...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from spider-wm084.proxy.aol.com on February 04, 2001 at 23:35:26:

In Reply to: Disney Cuts Off Indy Mail Order, and I'm not happy posted by Micah on February 04, 2001 at 22:34:09:

To paraphrase a famous adage, the general level of stupidity of the human race it truly IS baffling. That the "average man" is relatively devoid of intelligence doesn't scare me; it's when you take into account that the lower "half" of the population is even WORSE does.

Disney's business policy is sheer lunacy. They've created an item with limited supply, yet high demand -- such is the corporate ideal! And so what do they do? They try to limit its availability even more -- encouraging "scalpers" and seriously frustrating fans.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

To add insult to injury, Lucasfilm went over the top in creating and distributing PHANTOM MENACE merchandise two years ago. Though the demand was high, the sheer enormity of the merchandise distributed was critically overestimated, and as a result, so many STAR WARS items remain on the shelves of your local K-MART, SAV-ON, and RITE-AID dealers to this day, at slashed prices to the extreme. Lucasfilm ended up with an egg on its face for overdoing it.

And yet with INDY, it is as though they're SHOCKED that people out there want to buy it with such fervor. And so what do they do? Do they increase the supply to meet the underestimated demand? Do they follow economic commerce 101 by upgrading the merchandise availability?

NO! THEY DO THE OPPOSITE!

Fortunately, I live in Southern California. It's not impossible for me to travel to the themeparks on any given afternoon. But still, even for ME this is an inconvenience, having to shell out $50 just to park and GET INTO the damn park, with no guarantee that the items in question will be in stock.

It is sheer lunacy...

Indiana Jones' first adventure may have come out 20 years ago. But RAIDERS remains a cinematic classic, still very much enjoyed -- and embraced -- by the public. And when you consider that the character was recently voted as best movie hero of ALL TIME (besting JAMES BOND and Lucas' OTHER cinematic counterparts), surely this must be a wakeup call to all involved.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]