Some good ideas and suggestions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marhala Bartender from dix3-43.essex1.com on February 05, 2001 at 10:30:23:

In Reply to: Disney Cuts Off Indy Mail Order, and I'm not happy posted by Micah on February 04, 2001 at 22:34:09:

As a true Indy fan, I can certainly agree with everything that has been posted and would like to express my displeasure at Disney's choice of action in response to their Indy figures selling so quickly. I wanted to clarify a few things though, before anyone does anything rash towards Disney.

I had posted the original message learning about Disney's plan to not sell these items via phone mail orders. As I stated in my post, I could not be sure that the customer service representative I spoke to was saying this merely to make me not as annoyed as when I first called (upon learning they would not ship my order until June for a 4" figure). He did state twice that Disney decided not to take phone orders for these items anymore, but that was only when he was talking about the 4" figures. I do not know if this rule applies to any other Indy related items, like the micro action playsets (which I don't think have sold out- just the motorcycle and airplane were not produced yet).

The customer service representative said my order would be filled in June since I had already placed my order. But he clearly said to me that I was lucky cause Disney isn't going to take any more orders over the phone. They want their park goers to get the exclusives. I can see their point of wanting people visiting the park to come away with exclusives (a kind of unexpected reward for visiting the parks), but clearly there is an enormous demand outside of the park that just cannot be ignored.

The action I think Disney should take when the next shipments arrive would be to make the limit lower on the amount of figures you can purchase. The very first time I called, which was once Micah posted the number on the main page, I never heard anything about a limit. I ordered two. The next time I ordered, just a couple days later, to purchase one for my friend's birthday, the first thing the woman said to me after I stated I was interested in the 4" Indy figure, was that there was a limit of 10 figures per customer. This clearly shows that they were running low and receiving massive orders which were probably not from us. Any scalper with half a brain could visit this site, get the phone number, and then greedily sell them on eBay at enormously marked up prices. If there was no limit beforehand, think of how many could be bought. And even with the limit, ten is one hell of alot! Why not limit it to five? Has anyone here needed to order more than five, or even five for that matter? I don't see why they can't satisfy both groups by merely making a much lower limit so that us fans can get a figure or two while limiting those who are trying to make profits off of them so people in the park can get them as well.

And when I wrote that post, I want to make sure that everyone knows it was DisneyWorld that I was speaking to. I may not have been clear on that. But as far as I know, Disneyland never got around to selling the 4" figures did they? I think the 10" ones there are still available for sale. Not sure though.

I am kind of stuck cause I hope that what I was told when I called Disney was just some inexperienced representative saying a bunch of BS to make me feel better. I know from working in retail, that people will say anything to calm down someone angry or make them feel good about having something they want backordered for a long period of time. On the other hand, I don't want anyone going to alot of trouble and attacking Disney if this representative was in fact lying to me. So please make sure to call first, verify what I have heard before we take any action like a petition. If what I was informed really is the case, I would be more than happy to help in a petition or letter to Disney.

Marhala Bartender

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]