Since we're on the subject of whips....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-tn033.proxy.aol.com on February 07, 2001 at 11:13:45:

I fully understand the suspension of disbelief principle, but I thought I'd share this. There are certain instances when Indy used his whip for swinging that would not have worked. Two, accually; the light fixture in 'Temple of Doom' and the radio wires in 'Last Crusade'. I spent a whole summer falling in a creek when I was a kid figuring this out. My Mom laughed and said it was impossible, "Stop trying every damned thing you see in a movie", but it can be done. The easiest way to explain it is imagine a set of Chinese fingercuffs. When you lash the whip around an overhead branch, post, etc. you have to flick your wrist so that whip crosses over the coils around the object you intend to swing from. When you swing the whip applies pressure to itself under your weight, keeping it from slipping off the object. This does not work on vertical objects, except to help you negotiate steep inclines. This is very handy when hiking. But you can't swing from vertical objects. Powerlines are to unstable and just roll around, causing the whip to slip. Yes, I acctually did this one. I was twelve, what do want? When I was young nothing on the screen was fake or staged; it was real and was filmed as it happened. And I tried just about every assinine thing I could find in the Indy films. I cracked three ribs being dragged behind a dune buggy on a dirt trail, was suspended from school for 'disarming' a classmate with my whip (he had a dangerous looking 12" Star Wars figure in his hand) and I was beaten within an inch of my life for doing the same to my Grandpa as he was stirring around in the fireplace with a poker. My stupid and painful experience, your entertainment for the day :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]