Re: Put Lexol on my Wested, Michaelson or other?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on February 14, 2001 at 14:26:33:

In Reply to: Put Lexol on my Wested, Michaelson or other? posted by Indy Sean on February 14, 2001 at 14:09:21:

Not knowing how you applied it, or how long you left it on to soak in, I really can't answer. Did you follow my suggested application from the IndyGear FAQ? Lexol will recondition the lambskin, and waterproof the leather as well as soon as it totally soaks in. Once soaked in, it's no longer "slimey" but dries to a shiny smooth finish. It has NOTHING to do with reversing the aging or distessing of the jacket. That is something that can't be reversed, just "maintained". Distressing is the physical "breaking" of the surface of the leather. What I've done in the past to Wested lambskin jackets in the appearance as yours is to Lexol the entire jacket, then take standard Pecards dressing to the really worn areas such as the seams and such and spot treat them, once again allowing it to soak completely in over night, or longer if necessary. Once the jacket seems to have soaked in as much as it can, I then buff the entire jacket with a clean dry cloth. As to the how often, well, that depends on you, how and where you wear it, and the area you live in. If in a dry climate, probably every 3 to 6 months. If in a wet area, probably once a month or so, or after a complete soaking from a rain storm and the jacket drys naturally at room temperature. It just depends on what you're looking for in appearance too. From all I've read, it sounds like your lambskin is going exactly as most of the forum writers would want it to go in terms of that used/distressed appearance. If you're wanting it to stay exactly the same appearance as it was when you bought it, I hate to tell you, it just won't stay that way, but then it's not supposed to unless you never wear it. I personally no longer own a lambskin version for the very reasons you list about your jacket. No big problems with the leather, mind you, but I have found that the new finish cowhide seems to fit the bill better for me in terms of little or no wear showing, easy to treat, and it can take either the Pecards standards dressing or the Lexol with equal application. If you haven't read it, take a look at my ramblings at the Indygear FAQ regarding this subject. Hope this helped. If not, email me directly and we'll go further if need be. Regards. Michaelson

: OK, I Put Lexol on my new finish Lambskin Wested, but it didn't
: really do anything except make the leather a little slimy. What's
: the Lexol supposed to do? I've only had my jacket about a month,
: but it's starting to distress quckly, especially on the sleeves,
: without any "adventures" so to speak. Am I supposed to notice a
: difference because the dressing doesn't seem to do anything to
: any part of the jacket, distressed or otherwise.

: Also, how soon aafter purchase are we supposed to put the
: dressing on the leather and how often?

: Cheers,

: Indy Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: