Nice work; I concur dark brown looks best. Black is too intense.(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregg from 46-050-rad.cspp.edu on February 14, 2001 at 20:21:31:

In Reply to: Re: My PB is now sporting a black ribbon posted by Dakota Ellison on February 10, 2001 at 17:35:32:

: : I am still on the hunt for that ultra-dark brown, but in the mean time I had a black one put it one. It looks SO much better. I also noticed when I put it on now, I can faintly hear the theme to Riaders in the background :-)

: :

: : You Americans, you're all the same. Always overdressing for the wrong occassions.- Toht

: The hat looks good. I don't know if you've tried this but you can get
: petersham ribbon from JudithM.com. Since I first ordered some from them over a year ago they've started calling it Indy Brown. It's a 50-50 cotton rayon mix with the unbound scalloped edge. The picture shows an untreated piece on top and a piece I dyed with RIT dark brown mixed with a little black dye on the bottom. I mixed it in a small rubber basin you can fit into the kitchen sink. I filled it with maybe a quart of hot water then put a whole envelope of dark brown and about a half envelope of black dye, stirred it with a wooden spoon til it blended then put in the ribbon a stirred slowly for 10-15 minutes, then rinsed with cold water til it ran clear. Dry it in the dryer, then iron flat. One thing you can see is how the dying reduces the glare in the ribbon. In the shade it looks almost black while you can tell it's a very dark brown in sunlight.
: Cheers,
: Dakota
: P.S. Your head in the circle reminds me of the Rocketeer comics of a few years ago. Pretty cool.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]