Re: Ripples in my hat brim? HELP, hat experts!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn001b-p3-249.cybertours.com on February 16, 2001 at 22:39:00:

In Reply to: Re: Ripples in my hat brim? HELP, hat experts!! posted by Fedora on February 16, 2001 at 21:07:50:

: : What do I do? I reshaped the brim of my HJ with cold water and
: : steam and now there are weird "ripples" in the felt from
: : reshaping. Did the felt shrink?

: : -Indy Sean

:
: Almost sounds like the brim shrunk in spots, hence the ripples. No problem. Just fire up the old steam iron, and iron it out smooth. Then reshape. Works every time. Regards, Fedora

I concur. I wouldn't worry too much about them. The HJ Felt is pretty resilient, and should stand up over time and reshaping. I've reshaped my crown and brim several times. Yes, some ripples are there, but they only add some character. If you are truly worried about shrinkage, I wouldn't use hot steam. But, that having been said, placing the moistened brim on a flat smooth surface, you should be able to literally flatten the brim out. Then, once flat, before it dries, you can put the snap back into the front and curl the back if desired. My wife has an old Akubra that I reshaped using only cold water and it came out great. The brim looks better than it ever has.

Hope this helps! If all else fails, get thy hat to the hatter!

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]