Pan and scan is one of my biggest pet peeves...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JuggleEwok from spider-mtc-ta063.proxy.aol.com on February 17, 2001 at 11:06:35:

In Reply to: Re: "Let me tell you something" has no clue. posted by California Smith on February 17, 2001 at 10:34:41:

: Excuse my previous post. Didn't mean to come off so negative, but the whole widescreen/pan and scan thing is a major pet peeve of mine.

I have never once seen a widescreen movie crop the top and bottom. In fact, that's what my dad believes, despite the fact that my brother and I have shown him side-by-side comparisons of dozens of movies. True, some directors, such as Cameron or Kubrick have framed their movies to transfer to television better, but most do not. You can miss out on a lot. A few easy-to-notice examples:
In Star Wars, when they enter the cantina. Pan and Scan shows Luke, then 3PO. Widescreen, you see them both entering in the same shot.
Pulp Fiction, near the beginning, when Jules and Vincent are on the elevator. Pan and scan shows you half of each person, or else just one full person. Widescreen shows both of them. In their entirety.
And, of course, Raiders. Having been raised on the Pan and Scan version, I never fully understood the beginning of the Desert Chase sequence. They show trucks, then they show Indy riding down the steep hill on his horse (or was it the other way around?). I never had any idea where they were supposed to be in relation to each other. However, in the widescreen version, you can specifically see that Indy and his horse are riding down the hill AS THE CONVOY DRIVES NEARBY, IN THE SAME SHOT.
There are a lot of examples, but I'm tired of typing. Go to the Widescreen Advocacy page, they have some spiffy side-by-side comparison shots.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]