Originally I went for quality/authenticity

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregg from 46-050-rad.cspp.edu on February 21, 2001 at 15:38:10:

In Reply to: A Herbert Johnson question. Don't take offense, I'm just curious... posted by Shawnkara on February 21, 2001 at 05:43:12:

I chose HJ b/c of their reputation for making hats, as well as the authenticity. For accuracy of fedora, it's a crapshoot from what I've heard. Maybe I was lucky receiving the Raiders (took some steaming/shaping, of course). With Peters Bros., there seems to be less variability, but they still fall short of accuracy of shape. At least HJ has a non-tapered hatblock. HJ colors vary, but the shape doesn't. I haven't seen a sample pic posted here or at petersbros.com yet, that has shown the right shape. In my opinion---(take it easy everybody)the brown is a little too light and/or the ribbon too dark. The contrast is off. This is could be partly attributed to the specific photo/appearance that fans are requesting their hats to be made to look like. "Joe, here's a freeze-frame from the temple scene, get it just like that." As has frequently been pointed out, lighting affects how we see the colors.
I'd go with the HJ hat again for the shape of the crown alone. That, to me is the most important aspect of my fedora's appearance.
Hope that insight helps.
Gregg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: