Excellent points! (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on February 21, 2001 at 15:53:40:

In Reply to: Re: Agreed with, but on one point posted by Hoth on February 21, 2001 at 13:54:46:

: : : I think it all depends on what your intentions are for buying in the first place. Some people want the closest to authenticity, some want the closest in appearance. Anybody who has ever collected real movie props, wardrobe, and replicas, knows that the majority of the real stuff doesn't quite look like what you see in the movies. The real stuff is usually pretty cheap looking, whereas replicas were made specifically to look like what you see on screen.

: : : Companies like Wested and HJ aren't trying to sell exact replicas, they're selling authenticity. Basically they're doing it for the hardcore collector and not the hardcore fan.

: : :
: : : Hoth

: : In the movie industry, the credo has always been that if the actor didn't FEEL like the character they were playing, they wouldn't perform to the best of their ability. I've found that true especially in regards to the costume end of the industry, as the costume items are almost ALWAYS as complete and top quality as one can find anywhere. Unless the fedora and jacket are the best one can get, the actor just doesn't play the part as convincingly as he/she could. I mean, look at some of the dresses of old Hollywood. A lot of the gowns used real diamonds and gems for the costumes.
: Michaelson

: I think that point also has a lot to do with the actor in specific. For example, the helmet worn by Maximus in the movie Gladiator was actually made of vacuformed plastic, only because Russell Crowe refused to wear the original fiberglass prop due to the weight. The replicas on the other hand are made of diecast aluminum and very detailed, which is more along the lines of what the fan would expect it to be made of. I'm not too sure how picky Ford was, but I'm sure he couldn't have been too picky considering that he was dealing with Lucas for all those years. Lucas is good with making props look good, but they're usually just duct-taped pieces of trash in reality.

: Hoth

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]