Also...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Jimmie from 1Cust187.tnt8.beaverton.or.da.uu.net on February 25, 2001 at 00:33:10:

In Reply to: Well... posted by BrianK on February 24, 2001 at 21:16:47:

I had an experience where a friend of mine bought "DVD" 's of the Star Wars films...exact same circumstances, though not from this same person.
Anyway, they had VERY bad sound/video synchronization problems starting just a couple of minutes into the movie....and there were TONS of digital artifacts throughout.

An odd collectible, at best.

Indiana Jimmie

: : Saw these on ebay which look more real than the others I've
: : seen: these have that little dvd logo on the covers. What do you
: : guys think? Are they just VCDs or for real??

: : http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141252
: : 9983

: : Indy Sean

: I hate to be Clintonian, but that depends on what your definition of real is. Are they really DVDs? yes, probably. DVD is just a video compression standard. I could run my family's home movies through an MPEG2 encoder and with a DVD burner make a DVD out of 'em. The video is going to be just as good (bad) as the VHS source. Strike that..it's virtually guaranteed to be worse, because you're transferring something from tape to digital and then compressing it using a "lossy" compression system. You're going to lose quality on both legs of that journey. Admittedly they probably used laserdiscs as sources, but you still lose from the compression phase. So, yes, they are DVDs. Will you get DVD quality? no. At best you'll get something on par or slightly lower quality than the laserdisc. Region free and Singapore should tip you off right there. No WAY Paramount or Lucasfilm would allow that!!!!!!!!!!

: BK

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]