Wear your Miller!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupEE233.mpls.uswest.net on February 28, 2001 at 15:14:08:

In Reply to: You should see my Miller! posted by Michaelson on February 28, 2001 at 14:08:59:

I ordered the "unbashed" Indiana Miller about a year ago, but they pulled a "Wested" on me and sent the bashed version instead. Well this turned out to be no big deal at all. In fact, the factory dents helped guide me on where to put my own. I've found that on unbashed hats it's sometimes hard to get the front pinch dead-center on the crown. The factory shape was VERY easy to pop out, and left no trace of being there at all. After only maybe 2 minutes I had shaped the hat in the "Raiders" vain. The Indiana Miller felt is EXTREMELY easy to shape. It's not stiff like maybe a PB, but it's not floppy either. It held its new shape with absolutely no need for steaming. (I've found that steaming hats ruins them by shrinking the felt. I do not recommend steaming)

Anyhoo, I've since replaced the way-too-wide 1.75" ribbon with a perfect-lookin' 1.5"er that I yoinked off an old JCPenny hat of mine. Now the hat looks pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. The slightly reddish-brown felt makes the hat a dead-on replica of the "Last Crusade" hat, ala Venice and Henry's house, and with the tighter pinch looks very much like the "Raiders" hat seen in Marion's bar.

I replaced the ribbon myself, which was suprisingly easy to do(I had done it once before years ago on a cheap hat). Although I was lucky enough to get a factory-cut dimensional brim, I'm sure the normal brim size of 2.75" would look pretty good too. So, with just a little altering this candidate can pass for a very good likeness of Indy's hat.

Peace out,
Austin "Just wanted to talk about something other than jackets" Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: